X Withholds Some Posts On Election Commission’s Directions

Share via:

SUMMARY

The official handle of X’s global government affairs said the platform “disagrees” with the takedown orders issued by the Election Commission of India

The social media major said that it has notified the users impacted by the move and said it was publishing the takedown orders “in the interest of transparency”

The Elon Musk-led platform also called on the Election Commission to publish all of its takedown orders going forward

Elon Musk-owned social media giant X on Tuesday (April 16) said it has withheld some political posts on the orders of the Election Commission of India (ECI) but expressed its disagreement with the takedown orders.

The official handle of X’s global government affairs said the platform “disagrees” with the takedown orders issued by the Commission, and also published copies of the takedown orders. 

The orders largely pertained to posts that violated the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). 

The Election Commission of India has issued takedown orders requiring X to act on posts containing political speech shared from elected politicians, political parties and candidates for office. In compliance with the orders, we have withheld these posts for the remainder of the election period; however, we disagree with these actions and maintain that freedom of expression should extend to these posts and political speech in general,” the global government affairs handle said on the platform.

The social media major added that it has notified the users impacted by the move and said it was publishing the takedown orders “in the interest of transparency”.

“We call on the Election Commission to publish all of its takedown orders going forward,” it said.

The takedown orders posted by X revealed that the posts (that were ordered to be taken down) were made from the handles of former Andhra Pradesh chief minister (CM) N Chandrababu Naidu and Bihar deputy CM Samrat Choudhary. Besides, two posts made from the party handles of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and the Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) were also ordered to be taken down for violating the MCC. 

This is not the first time that X has sparred with the Indian authorities. In July 2022, X (then Twitter) approached the Karnataka High Court (HC) and challenged the Indian government’s orders to block some accounts, URLs, and tweets. 

Citing violation of freedom of speech, the platform sought a judicial review of the content takedown orders. Eventually, the platform lost the case and was even directed to pay INR 50 Lakh in fine. The Musk-led platform then challenged the ruling before another bench of the same HC in August last year.




Source link

Disclaimer

We strive to uphold the highest ethical standards in all of our reporting and coverage. We StartupNews.fyi want to be transparent with our readers about any potential conflicts of interest that may arise in our work. It’s possible that some of the investors we feature may have connections to other businesses, including competitors or companies we write about. However, we want to assure our readers that this will not have any impact on the integrity or impartiality of our reporting. We are committed to delivering accurate, unbiased news and information to our audience, and we will continue to uphold our ethics and principles in all of our work. Thank you for your trust and support.

Popular

More Like this

X Withholds Some Posts On Election Commission’s Directions

SUMMARY

The official handle of X’s global government affairs said the platform “disagrees” with the takedown orders issued by the Election Commission of India

The social media major said that it has notified the users impacted by the move and said it was publishing the takedown orders “in the interest of transparency”

The Elon Musk-led platform also called on the Election Commission to publish all of its takedown orders going forward

Elon Musk-owned social media giant X on Tuesday (April 16) said it has withheld some political posts on the orders of the Election Commission of India (ECI) but expressed its disagreement with the takedown orders.

The official handle of X’s global government affairs said the platform “disagrees” with the takedown orders issued by the Commission, and also published copies of the takedown orders. 

The orders largely pertained to posts that violated the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). 

The Election Commission of India has issued takedown orders requiring X to act on posts containing political speech shared from elected politicians, political parties and candidates for office. In compliance with the orders, we have withheld these posts for the remainder of the election period; however, we disagree with these actions and maintain that freedom of expression should extend to these posts and political speech in general,” the global government affairs handle said on the platform.

The social media major added that it has notified the users impacted by the move and said it was publishing the takedown orders “in the interest of transparency”.

“We call on the Election Commission to publish all of its takedown orders going forward,” it said.

The takedown orders posted by X revealed that the posts (that were ordered to be taken down) were made from the handles of former Andhra Pradesh chief minister (CM) N Chandrababu Naidu and Bihar deputy CM Samrat Choudhary. Besides, two posts made from the party handles of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and the Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) were also ordered to be taken down for violating the MCC. 

This is not the first time that X has sparred with the Indian authorities. In July 2022, X (then Twitter) approached the Karnataka High Court (HC) and challenged the Indian government’s orders to block some accounts, URLs, and tweets. 

Citing violation of freedom of speech, the platform sought a judicial review of the content takedown orders. Eventually, the platform lost the case and was even directed to pay INR 50 Lakh in fine. The Musk-led platform then challenged the ruling before another bench of the same HC in August last year.




Source link

Disclaimer

We strive to uphold the highest ethical standards in all of our reporting and coverage. We StartupNews.fyi want to be transparent with our readers about any potential conflicts of interest that may arise in our work. It’s possible that some of the investors we feature may have connections to other businesses, including competitors or companies we write about. However, we want to assure our readers that this will not have any impact on the integrity or impartiality of our reporting. We are committed to delivering accurate, unbiased news and information to our audience, and we will continue to uphold our ethics and principles in all of our work. Thank you for your trust and support.

Website Upgradation is going on for any glitch kindly connect at office@startupnews.fyi

More like this

TLB Lenders Urge NCLT To Restrain BYJU’S From Selling...

SUMMARY The creditors argued that BYJU’S was borrowing more...

US arrests man allegedly behind enormous botnet that enabled...

It’s a scheme that “reads like it’s ripped...

Creator fintech Slingshot raises $2.2 million

Sanil Chawla remembers the meetings he had with...

Popular

Upcoming Events

Startup Information that matters. Get in your inbox Daily!